||"A historical political resource."
DR Congo opposition leader Katumbi blocked from returning home
|Last Edited||IndyGeorgia Aug 08, 2018 07:03pm|
|Media||TV News - France 24|
|News Date||Wednesday, August 8, 2018 06:00:00 PM UTC0:0|
|Description||Congo opposition leader Moise Katumbi has been blocked from entering the country to register as a candidate in December's long-delayed presidential election, a spokesman said Saturday. |
Congo opposition leader Moise Katumbi has been blocked from entering the country to register as a candidate in December's long-delayed presidential election, a spokesman said Saturday.
Zambia's government told Katumbi of the refusal by Congolese authorities, Olivier Kamitatu Etsu said in a post on Twitter, adding: "Have you ever seen a government forbid a so-called fugitive to turn himself in?"
Katumbi had been a leading presidential contender before fleeing Congo in May 2016 as prosecutors announced their intent to try him on charges of hiring mercenaries, which he denied. The legal issues emerged after he resigned from the ruling party in 2015.
Now the former governor of the copper-rich Katanga region is trying to come home ahead of the Aug. 8 deadline for candidates to register. He said on Friday that Congo's government also had not permitted him to arrive by plane.
|Article||Read Full Article|