||"A historical political resource."
Target of fraud probe [P(r)itt] withdraws from [AR] congressional race
|Last Edited||ArmyDem Nov 01, 2011 09:53pm|
|News Date||Wednesday, November 2, 2011 03:00:00 AM UTC0:0|
|Description||Posted on 01 November 2011 |
By Rob Moritz
Arkansas News Bureau
LITTLE ROCK — Citing “malicious gossip” on the Internet, among other things, a recently announced 2nd District congressional candidate being investigated for fraud says he won’t run for office after all.
Drew Pritt says he faced several hurdles, and “a few people use the Internet to spread malicious gossip and slander my name just is an added obstacle.”
The Arkansas News Bureau reported last week that Pritt, a political consultant who recently moved back to Little Rock from Alaska, is a suspect in the disappearance of more than $3,000 raised during an August benefit for a soldier who lost his legs in a roadside bombing in Iraq in 2005.
Sgt. Lawrence Rhodes of the Anchorage Police Department’s financial division said no charges have been filed but an investigation into the missing money is ongoing and that Pritt is a subject of the probe.
The wounded soldier is the son of Diane Benson, a former candidate for lieutenant governor in Alaska. Pritt had worked on Benson’s campaign. In an interview last week, Pritt denied any involvement with the missing funds.
In a statement late Monday, Pritt, a Democrat, also said that he did not have the money to run a competitive race for the seat now held by U.S. Rep. Tim Griffin, R-Little Rock, and that he was concerned about his health.
“I have withdrawn from races before, and it simply is a question of too many hurdles to overcome,” Pritt said.
|Article||Read Full Article|