||"A historical political resource."
Eddie's (Rendell) greatest hits
|Last Edited||Scott³ Jan 16, 2011 03:17pm|
|Media||Newspaper - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review|
|News Date||Sunday, January 16, 2011 09:00:00 PM UTC0:0|
|Description||It seems fitting at this point to look back on some of the most memorable "Ed" moments and comments: |
• The Philadelphia Daily News story about Ed's state police-driven limo exceeding 100 mph on the Pennsylvania Turnpike. Would you expect any less from Fast Eddie?
• Revealing that he wanted to "throttle" an old woman who poked at his chest and had given him a hard time about signing the 2005 legislative pay raise.
• Speaking of the pay grab, he told a business group from Bucks County visiting the Capitol in 2006 that he did so to "kiss a little butt" with the Legislature and help ensure passage of his programs.
• Suggesting state legislators should be gassed, after watching a torturous legislative conference committee during the 2009 budget impasse. He referred to Goldfinger in a James Bond movie filling a room with poisonous gas to take out opponents, saying that would have been a "good idea" for the conferees.
• Suggesting that citizen activist Eric Epstein was a cannibal, referring to him as the fictional character Hannibal Lecter from "The Silence of the Lambs."
• Blowing up in a recent "60 Minutes" interview and calling Lesley Stahl and the producers "simpletons" and "idiots" when he was pressed on the issue of whether having slot machines in the state poses risks for gambling addicts.
• Calling legislators "cowards," Rendell once said if there were a cure for cancer, Pennsylvania legislators would not vote for higher taxes to pay for it.
• Just last year, he ripped the head off of a Tim Solobay "bobblehead" doll and sent the head to Solobay, then a state House member. "It was fun," Rendell said. It was to chide Solobay, now a senator, for not supporting Rendell's gas extraction tax.
• During the 2008 presidential primary, Rendell, who was supporting Hillary Clinton, said many Pennsylvanians wouldn't vote for an African-American. Barack Obama, of course, was Clinton's opponent and defeated her.
|Article||Read Full Article|