> United States > Texas > Counties > Bexar
|Established|| 00, 1718|
|Disbanded|| Still Active |
|Last Modified||Bob June 20, 2007 11:51am|
SAN ANTONIO, TEXAS. San Antonio, at the head of the San Antonio River in Bexar County, is on Interstate Highway 10 (east-west) and Interstate Highway 35 and 37 (north-south). The city is also served by five U.S. highways, numerous state highways, San Antonio International Airport, two freight railroads (the Union Pacific and Southern Pacific), and two AMTRAK trains. The area was explored by Spanish expeditions in 1691 and 1709, which named the San Antonio River and San Pedro Creek. The town grew out of San Antonio de B鸡r Presidio, founded 1718, and the villa of San Fernando de B鸡r, chartered by Canary Islandersqv in 1731. Beginning in 1718, five Spanish missionsqv were located along the river. The presidial captain's house (later the Spanish Governor's Palaceqv) was completed on Military Plaza in 1749, and San Fernando de B鸡r Church was built by 1758. In 1773 San Antonio de B鸡r became the capital of Spanish Texas.qv In 1778 the settlement had a population of 2,060, including mission Indians. Its circumstances were described as "miserable" by visitors. The population was poor and heterogeneous, made up of Europeans, mestizos,qv and a few black slaves. The missions were all secularized by 1795, and San Antonio de Valero Mission (later, the Alamoqv) became a military barracks. San Antonio declared for Mexican independence in 1813; it was recaptured by Royalist forces after the battles of AlazᮠCreek and Medina,qv and the population was decimated by purges. |
All-America City Winner 1949, 1951 and 1982-83.
All-America City Finalist 1952.
Visited by Pope John Paul II September 1987.
Site of Crusades by Reverend Billy Graham 1958, 1968 and 1997.