||County Government DETAILS
> United States > Delaware > DE Counties > Kent
|Established|| 00, 1655|
|Disbanded|| Still Active |
|Last Modified||Scott³ November 07, 2007 08:45pm|
The Levy Court is the highest executive power that exists in Kent County, Delaware. |
It is charged with overseeing the daily operations of Kent County government. The
Levy Court was established in 1655 when the Delaware General Assembly, then
under Dutch control, enacted legislation that called for taxes to be levied on all land
owners in Delaware. By 1793, the duties had grown to include property assessment,
real estate transfers and granting land applications. During the same year, the
General Assembly passed an act that allowed the Levy Court Commissioners to be
elected by the people.
Over the next two hundred years, the Levy Court took on the responsibility of
appointing assessors and establishing assessment fees, constructing sewage
systems, determining street light placement and any other topics of public interest.
It also provides library and ambulance service, in addition to financial assistance to
local service organizations.