Victoria, British Columbia , Canada
|| 00, 1949
Oct 20, 2020 12:46pm
|Info||Sheila Orr was first elected to the BC Legislature for the riding of Victoria-Hillside in the 2001 provincial general election. She has served on many Committees over the past four years including: |
* Treasury Board
* Legislative Review Committee
* Chair – Government Caucus Committee of Cross Government Initiatives
* Deputy Chair – Legislative Standing Committee of Legislative Initiatives
* Special Committee to Review the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
* Special Committee to appoint a Merit Commissioner
Before becoming an MLA, Sheila served as a Councillor for five years in the Municipality of Saanich. Educated in England, Singapore and Cyprus, she studied design and business management. Sheila's 40 years of experience in the private sector both as an employee and employer include five years as president and owner of a retail and wholesale gift business and ten years as manager, trainer and consultant in the travel industry. Prior to the 2001 Provincial Election she was a weekly political commentator on CBC Radio for two years and, and owner of Orrmar Designs.
Sheila has served on numerous committees either as chair or member, including: Provincial Capital Commission, Tourism Victoria, Economic Development Commission, Green/Blue Spaces Advisory Committee, Saanich Finance Committee, Saanich Heritage Foundation, Development Review Process Committee, and the Task Force on Jobs. In 1997, Sheila was elected to the Capital Regional District and served on the Region's Health Planning Committee, Housing Corporation Board, Finance and Administration and Regional Water Commission.
Sheila's other community involvement has included:
* Greater Victoria Film Commission vice president;
* Sports Tourism Initiative member;
* Prostitute Empowerment Education and Resource Society Advisory Committee member;
* Capital Region Action Team on Sexually Exploited Youth; and,
* Helping with fundraising for many local charity organizations.
Born in the United Kingdom, Sheila immigrated to Canada in 1967 and moved to BC that same year, settling in Vernon. Sheila met her husband, John, in 1968 and they have raised five children together. They moved to Victoria in 1984. Sheila enjoys renovating houses, travelling, art and walking.