|Affiliation||No Party Affiliation
Los Gatos, California , United States
|| January 04, 1957
Oct 24, 2018 09:38pm
Jewish - Judaism -
|Info||Prior to his political career, Poizner worked in the Silicon Valley as a high tech entrepreneur; founding both SnapTrak, Inc and Strategic Mapping, Inc. Following SnapTrak's sale for $1 billion dollars to Qualcomm, Poizner served a year on the National Security Council as a White House Fellow (starting one week before the September 11, 2001 attacks). |
Poizner ran for the California State Assembly as a Republican against Democrat Ira Ruskin, and lost by 5,884 votes (out of 190,120 votes cast) in 2004. He spent 5 million dollars of his own money to fund his campaign.
Steve Poizner easily won the election for California Insurance Commissioner in 2006 with 3,300,255 votes 50.6% to Cruz Bustamante 2,533,469 votes 38.9%. Steve Poizner and Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger were the only Republicans elected in California State wide races.
* University of Texas, B.S. Electrical Engineering, 1978 (Named 'Outstanding Male Student at the University of Texas').
* Stanford University, M.B.A. 1980 and graduated as an Arjay Miller Scholar in 1980.
* White House Fellow, 2001-2002 (One of twelve fellows selected for this highly competitive and respected non-partisan program). He was selected out of a pool of 1000 candidates.
* Co-founder of EdVoice, is an educational non-profit making organization dedicated to improving public schools in California. Serving the interests of K-12 children in California.
* Co-founder of the California Charter Schools Association.
* Served on Aspire Schools Board