San Diego, California , United States
|| December 16, 1942
Jun 24, 2016 12:27am
|Info||Former Superior Court Judge Dick Murphy was elected Mayor of San Diego in November 2000. The Mayor has successfully pursued ten goals to make San Diego a City Worthy of our Affection: |
- Establishing an Ethics Commission
- Reducing traffic congestion
- Creating neighborhoods to be proud of
- Cleaning up our beaches and bays
- Establishing a Regional Airport Authority
- Completing the Downtown Ballpark
- Rebuilding our library system
- Making San Diego America�s safest city
- Pursuing energy independence
- Completing the City�s open space system
Dick served on the San Diego City Council from 1981 to 1985 where he chaired the Metropolitan Transit Development Board and the Mission Trails Regional Park Task Force. From 1985 to 2000, Dick was a Municipal Court Judge and a Superior Court Judge where he presided over hundreds of complex criminal and civil trials.
Dick Murphy served as an officer in the U.S. Army, as the San Diego Marketing Director for Bank of America, and as an attorney at the law firm of Luce, Forward, Hamilton & Scripps.
Dick graduated Phi Beta Kappa with a degree in Economics from the University of Illinois, received his Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) from Harvard University, and his law degree (J.D.) from Stanford University.
Dick and his wife, Jan, have lived in San Diego for more than 30 years and have raised three children -- Brian, Shannon, and Kelly. Dick has coached 20 youth soccer, softball, baseball, and basketball teams. He is an active member of San Carlos United Methodist Church and of the San Diego Rotary Club.