|Address||898 Osceola Ave |
St. Paul, Minnesota , United States
|| March 13, 1960
|Contributor||The Oncoming Storm|
Aug 14, 2018 08:40pm
|Info||Erin Murphy was born in Columbus, Wisconsin in 1960 and grew up in Janesville, Wisconsin. Her father Bernard worked on the line at General Motors. Her mother Kathleen worked at home raising five children including Erin’s brothers Sean, Tim and Michael and her sister Meghan. |
Politics was and continues to be a favorite topic of discussion at the Murphy family table. Erin volunteered on her first campaign in the eighth grade. Her candidate, the father of a classmate, won a seat in the Wisconsin State Senate.
Erin put herself through college and began her career in nursing in 1985. She practiced medical surgical and operating room nursing in Marshfield, Wisconsin. She moved to St. Paul, Minnesota in 1988 and practiced OR nursing at the University of Minnesota Hospital in Minneapolis.
Building on her clinical and advocacy skills, Erin joined the staff of the Minnesota Nurses Association where she worked as an organizer and lobbyist. She went on to serve as Legislative Director for Attorney General Humphrey and Community Relations Director at the Department of Children, Families and Learning. She returned to MNA in 2001 as Executive Director where she leads an organization of 18,000 registered nurses and a staff of 42.
Erin and her husband Joe live in the Summit Hill neighborhood of St. Paul. They have been married for 17 years and have twin daughters in 9th grade at Central High School.
* University of Wisconsin at Oshkosh, BS Nursing,1984
* College of St. Catherine, MA Organizational Leadership-Health Care, 2005
* University of Minnesota Humphrey Policy Fellow, 2005-2006
* Expo for Excellence Elementary School classroom volunteer & chaperone
* Shamrock School parent volunteer
* MN AFL CIO Executive Board and General Board
* Cover All Kids Steering Committee Co- Chair
* Citizens for a Safer Minnesota Board of Directors, 1999-2001
* St. Paul DFL Director, 2001
* American Nurses Association PAC Board of Trustees
* TPT’s Almanac political panelist
* Minnesota volunteer on local, state and national campaigns since 1990.