||"A historical political resource."
Land of Idols: Political Mythology in America
|Title||Land of Idols: Political Mythology in America|
Purchase This Book|
|Last Modified||Craverguy - December 08, 2008 03:59am|
|Description||No one challenges the political establishment with as much vigor and skill as Michael Parenti. In Land of Idols, Parenti examines the notion that American society has no dominant ideology. Arguing that this presumption is itself ideological, Parenti confronts the prevailing myths in American society that limit our perception of political reality and constrain progressive reform. |
Honest, insightful, and intelligent, Land Of Idols urges Americans to look beyond political mythology and work toward a truly democratic society.
Some of the topics that Michael Parenti examines are:
* New Age beliefs that reduce social problems to matters of subjective personal experience
* The definition of patriotism as the unquestioning support of the status quo at home and military intervention abroad
* The religious posturing of politicians in an effort to provide a veneer of moral legitimacy to justify their own self-serving political agendas
* The use of racism, sexism, and class inequality to solidify elite rule
* The notion that Marxism is obsolete — and that capitalism fosters democracy
* The belief that in a market economy, artistic, journalistic and academic expression is free from powerful corporate and government influence.