Home About Chat Users Issues Party Candidates Polling Firms Media News Polls Calendar Key Races United States President Senate House Governors International

New User Account
"A collaborative political resource." 
Email: Password:

  Tandja, Mamadou
CANDIDATE DETAILS
AffiliationNational Movement for a Developing Society  
 
NameMamadou Tandja
Address
, , Niger
EmailNone
WebsiteNone
Born 00, 1938
Died Still Living (76 years)
ContributorPicimpalious
Last ModifiedJuan Croniqueur
Aug 16, 2012 02:50am
Tags
InfoTandja Mamadou is a Niger politician and current President.

Mamadou ran for President in the elections of 1996. At that time he was most notable for being a former interior minister of Niger. He received third place, 15.65% of the vote. He won the 1999 elections, however, receiving first place, 32%, in the first round, and 60% in the second round, defeating former Prime Minister Mahamadou Issoufou. Mamadou is the first democratically elected President of Niger after the coup that put Ibrahim Bar� Ma�nassara in power in 1996. In April of 1999, Ma�nassara was assassinated and a new military government took over. This junta promised a return to democracy within the year, and the elections were held in October and November. Mamadou and his National Movement for the Development Society won the elections, and Mamadou took office on December 22, 1999. He appointed Hama Amadou as his Prime Minister.

Niger was heavily in debt and was not receiving any foreign aid due to Ma�nassara's coup. Mamadou focused on economic development, negotiating with the civil service unions and with foreign donors. Many did not approve of Mamadou's measures in reducing government spending. In 2001, students at the University of Niamey staged violent protests against the reduction of their government grants. In 2002, some soldiers started a rebellion claiming that they were underpaid. Loyalists defeated the rebels and restored peace, but Mamadou came under political fire for his decrees blocking communication about the rebellion.

Mamadou's position was up for re-election in November 2004. In the first round of those elections, he got first place with 40.7% of the vote, the rest being divided between five opponents. As in 1999, Mahamadou Issoufu got second place, and participated in a runoff with Mamadou in December. Mamadou was re-elected with 65.5% of the vote, with Issoufou receiving the remaining 34.5%.

[Link]

JOB APPROVAL POLLS

BOOKS
Title Purchase Contributor

EVENTS
Start Date End Date Type Title Contributor

NEWS
Date Category Headline Article Contributor
Jan 19, 2005 12:00am News Niger's Tandja elected leader of west African economic bloc  Article Picimpalious 

DISCUSSION
Importance? 9.00000 Average

FAMILY

INFORMATION LINKS
RACES
  12/04/2004 Niger President - Runoff Won 65.53% (+31.05%)
  11/15/2004 Niger President Won 40.67% (+16.07%)
  11/24/1999 Niger President - Runoff Won 59.90% (+19.79%)
  10/17/1999 Niger President Won 32.30% (+9.51%)
  07/08/1996 Niger President Lost 15.65% (-36.57%)
  03/27/1993 Niger President - Runoff Lost 45.58% (-8.84%)
  02/27/1993 Niger President Won 34.28% (+7.73%)
ENDORSEMENTS